Back in February, I told you about a never-ending project I’ve been working on with leftover bits of yarn. And I mentioned that the stitching was getting looser as I went, making the project all catawampus. At first, I thought I’d just deal with it. But then my obsessive-compulsive tendencies got the better of me and I couldn’t continue.
All of the sudden, I began to stress out about this project. It seemed such a waste, but I couldn’t possibly accept this horribly skewed thing. So I thought I’d start completely over, stitching with a larger hook and using a loose stitch from the first row. That would make the project go faster, too, which sounded good to me. But once I began that plan – stitching as I unravelled – I determined that wouldn’t work either because it just didn’t look right.
So I started to think maybe I’d just bin the whole project. No harm; no foul.
But I couldn’t bring myself to do that. So my remaining option was to unravel to the point where my stitching went awry. That thought made me sad, but at least there wouldn’t be any waste.
Which means I’ve spent a couple of hours unravelling my lovely afghan. And now I get to spend many, many, many more re-stitching. And, with a bit of consistency and discipline, maybe it will work the way it’s meant to this time around.
(One day, Mum, this will make it to your bed. I promise!)