I am broken

It is official: I have my first-ever broken bone. It’s a wee avulsion fracture on my left ankle and it hurts like holy heck! And it’s all because I love salty snacks.

I am away from home at the moment house and dog sitting for a friend. And yesterday afternoon, after taking the dog (Minnie) for a quick walk, I decided to walk into town to get some crisps and other snacks. I didn’t need them, but I wanted them. And as I felt the need for a bit of exercise, I decided the two-mile round-trip journey would do me good.

It started to rain a bit on my return journey. Nothing too desperate, but more than just a sprinkle or two. But that little bit of rain made the ground just slick enough to cause trouble. In fact, as I came to one section of the path, I made a mental note to myself to be extra careful when running through that bit on the run I had planned for today. So I gingerly stepped up on the kerb to cross over a small bit of the pavement that is under construction (the only way through).

As it turns out, I didn’t step gingerly enough. Because my foot slipped out from under me and I fell backwards onto the ground.

I instantly grabbed for my ankle, aware that I’d hurt it but unaware of how severe my injury was. Then I sat back to collect myself a bit, certain that I was just shaken up and that my ankle would be fine.

When I tried to stand, I realised that my ankle was swollen and very sore. So I sat for a while longer trying to determine just how badly I was hurt. Then, despite the rain that was now falling quite steadily, I was feeling overheated and needed to remove my jacket. The world was spinning for a few moments, and I tried not to be sick.

What now? I’m in a strange town miles from home and the house I’m staying at is a little over a half-mile away. I wasn’t bad enough to call an ambulance. It would take too long to call a friend from Glasgow or Edinburgh to come to collect me. And having tried, I realised I would be unable to walk.

So, I began to crawl. Then once I got to a bit of the pavement with a fence, I pulled myself up and started to limp, using the fence as my support.

It was then that a nice man stopped to help me. He drove me to where I was house sitting and helped me to the door where Minnie was waiting excitedly for my return. Just then, a couple of the neighbours were returning home. So the husband whisked me off to the minor injuries unit, where it was determined that I have my first-ever broken bone.

For now, I have been given a walking cast/boot to keep my ankle stable. I’ll be speaking with someone from the fracture clinic tomorrow to find out what the full treatment plan is.

I don’t know how long it will take me to heal, but I do know that I won’t be running any time soon. And I won’t be walking the dog that I’m caring for, either. But, thankfully, the neighbour kids have all been popping by to take Minnie out. And the other neighbours have all made themselves available to help with whatever I need. (Offers for shopping or follow-up visits to the doctor or anything else. Such kind people!)

As I know you’re wondering: Don’t worry, the crisps survived the fall. But sadly, my prescription sunglasses didn’t.

I hope you’re all having a less painful start to the week than I am!

To read more about my progress, follow the links below:
I am broken
Two weeks broken
Four weeks broken
Six weeks broken
Broken ankle, Phase II: Learning to walk again
Eight weeks broken
Ten weeks broken
Twelve weeks broken
Broken ankle, Phase III: Getting back to normal

Join the conversation!